Making the Transition to Coaching U8

For the past 5 years I have been the assistant soccer coach at a private high school. This has been an incredible experience and I will continue on in this arena with no end in site. However, my two boys (now 8 & 6) have reached the age were soccer is becoming an pretty important part of their lives.

I watched them through the first couple years of their soccer development and have coached them from time to time, but I’ve finally decided to step up and really work with them on developing their skills.

While I have notebooks full of great drills and strategies for working with High Schoolers, the cupboard was a bit bare with regards to the little guys. So I’ve been on a quest for the last year to pull together and test as many drills, tactics and techniques as possible for working with the younger generation.

It has been a great learning experience and has really opened my eyes to a greater appreciation of the beautiful game.

No comments: